Now on your video calls, you have the option to change or blur your background. To see how the feature works follow the steps below or watch this quick video explainer.
How to access custom backgrounds on the Doximity App
Note: All users have to have to be using an eligible device (see list of eligible devices here) and be operating on Doximity version 15.8.0 or later in order to access mobile custom backgrounds.
1) Start a Dialer video call in the Doximity app
2) Tap the more icon in the bottom bar of your phone
3) Tap Custom Backgrounds
4) Select the Custom Background you'd like to use
Option 1: Blur your background
Option 2: Choose one of the pre-populated backgrounds
Note: Ability to upload your image for a custom background coming to mobile soon!
5) That's it! Your patients will now see the custom background you chose.
How to access custom backgrounds from your computer
1) Start a Dialer video call on your computer (doximity.com/dialer/video).
2) Click on the Tools icon to open the settings menu.
3) A sidebar will open with a preview of your background.
4) Choose your desired background option:
Option #1: Blur your background
Option #2: Choose one of the pre-populated backgrounds
Option #3 Upload an image for a custom background
5) Once you've selected your background, click the ‘X’ button on the top right to close the background side panel.
6) That's it! Your patients will now see the custom background you chose.
How to remove or change your custom background
1A) If you are using custom backgrounds in the Doximity App, tap the more icon in the bottom bar of your phone
1B) If you are using custom backgrounds on your computer, click on the tools icon to reopen the sidebar.
2) The background style you are currently using will be selected and highlighted in blue
3) Tap on the background feature you'd like to use (blur, pre-populated image, or custom background image (desktop only).
4) If you do not want a custom background, click ‘None’.
How to upload a custom background (desktop only, mobile coming soon!)
1) Open the virtual background side panel.
2) Click on the (+) icon to open the upload window.
3) Select your desired image and click 'Open'.
4) Your uploaded custom background will be present and highlighted on the side panel.
5) Click the ‘X’ button on the top right of the side panel to return to the full call screen.
Deleting and replacing an uploaded custom background (desktop only, mobile coming soon!)
1) Open the side panel.
2) Hover over the uploaded custom background and click 'X' on the upper right. This will delete the uploaded custom background.
3) Once the uploaded custom background is removed, the option to upload a custom background is restored and you'll see the (+) icon again. To upload another custom background, follow the steps in section: How to upload a custom background
1) What mobile devices support custom backgrounds?
iPhone SE (2nd generation)
iPhone 12 Mini
iPhone 12 Pro
iPhone 12 Pro Max
iPhone XS Max
iPhone 11 Pro
iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPad (8th generation)
iPad Mini (5th generation)
iPad Air (3rd generation)
iPad Air (4th generation)
iPad Pro 12.9-in. (3rd generation)
iPad Pro 11-in. (1st generation)
iPad Pro 12.9-in. (4th generation)
iPad Pro 11-in. (2nd generation)
2) Why is this feature not showing up on my mobile video call?
Currently, this feature is only available on iOS, coming to Android devices soon! If you are not seeing it on your iOS device please make sure you are using an eligible device (list of eligible mobile devices here) and operating on the latest version of the Doximity app, here's how to check.
3) Why is this feature not showing up on my desktop video call?
Currently, this feature is available on newer versions of Google Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge browsers. Update your browser or access Doximity on the aforementioned browsers to ensure you can utilize this feature. Here is how to check your version of Google Chrome and how to update it.
4) Will my custom background be saved or will I have to upload it after each call?
Your last background will be saved after your first selection. However, if you go to a new browser, computer, or clear your history, it may not be saved.
5) Are custom backgrounds available on mobile devices?
Yes, custom backgrounds are available on iOS in the Doximity App. Coming to Android devices soon!
6) How can I ensure the custom backgrounds work the best?
There are a few ways you can ensure optimal performance when utilizing custom backgrounds by having:
1. A strong network connection
2. Browser that supports WebGL2
3. Your actual background matching the color scheme in your desired custom background. (i.e. in a light-filled room or background, choose a light custom background to ensure the best results).
Note: Running too many programs at once or screen sharing may make the call slower.
7) I'm not seeing custom backgrounds on the latest version of Chrome, what should I do?
This may be because you have WebGL2 turned off on your device. WebGL2 is required to enable Virtual Backgrounds. Please speak to your I.T. office about this. More information can be found here.