- What devices support Dialer Video?
- Is Dialer Video available on the iPad?
- Who can use Dialer Video?
- Can I use Dialer Video if I'm located in a U.S. territory (Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, or U.S. Virgin Islands)?
- Can I add a third participant to my video call?
- Can I launch a video call from my computer?
- Can I share my screen with my patient?
- Can I view a history or log of my video calls?
- How do I rejoin a video call with my patient?
- Will my personal number ever be visible to my patient?
- Will I be notified when my patient joins the call?
- Can I call my patient and walk them through the process?
- What does the timestamp mean on the history list?
- How do I change the number I get text notifications sent to?
- How do I invite my patient without a smartphone to my video call?
- What number will show up on my patient's caller ID when I use Call Nudge?
- How do I change the number that shows up for my patient when I use Call Nudge?
- Is Dialer Video HIPAA Compliant?
- Are video calls recorded?
- Do video links expire?
- Can I edit the message sent to my patient?
- How do I make sure my personal mobile number is not visible to patients when I place a video call?
- Can patients see the nickname(s) I give to my phone numbers?
- Can I get a BAA?
- Are enterprise partnerships available?
- I am having trouble connecting to a video call. Any ideas?
- I am now seeing a message that my patient's internet connection is unstable, what should I do?
- I am seeing a message that says I need to check my internet connection and try again, what should I do?
What devices support Dialer Video?
Dialer Video is available on the Doximity App for iPhone, iPad, and Android. A desktop version is currently available at https://www.doximity.com/dialer/home
Device OS requirements:
- iPhone/iPad iOS version 15.0 or higher
- Android operating system version 7.1 or higher.
Doximity App requirements:
- You must have the latest version of the Doximity App on your device. Here’s how you can enable automatic updates on your mobile device.
Browser Requirements by platform:
- iPhone and iPad: Safari
- Android Mobile: Chrome and Firefox
- MacOS Desktop: Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge
- Windows Desktop: Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge
Note: For all browsers, you must have the latest version.
Is Dialer available for the iPad?
Yes! Dialer video is available on iPad. To get started, make sure your Doximity iPad app is updated to the latest version and follow the same steps as you would if you were placing a video call on the mobile app.
Who can use Dialer Video?
To use any of Doximity Dialer’s communication tools (video, calling, or voicemail) you must be:
- A verified Doximity member; to learn more about our verification process see HERE
- If you're a verified MD, DO, NP, PA, Pharmacist, Pharm Student, or Medical Student you can use Dialer now
- All other healthcare professionals will have access to 20 free calls before being required to purchase a Dialer Pro subscription.
Can I use Dialer Video if I'm located in a U.S. territory (Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, or U.S. Virgin Islands)?
It depends on the territory you are located in and on your patient's cellular carrier. If your patient is on a supported US carrier network but is out of the country (or in a US territory such as Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands), the message may be delivered successfully, but delivery is not guaranteed.
However, you can email patients the video room link to allow them to join on their mobile phone or computer. Note: This is only available to Dialer Pro and Dialer Enterprise users. Clinicians with Dialer Free will not have access. Instructions are here.
Currently, we support the following carriers in the following territories:
- Puerto Rico:
Local Puerto Rico carriers Claro, PR Wireless, and Verizon are not reachable using shortcodes.
We currently do not support local carriers in the following territories:
- American Samoa
Can I add a third participant to my video call?
Yes, to view the instructions for adding a 3rd person with the Doximity Dialer App, click HERE.
To add a 3rd person using the Doximity Desktop Video Dialer, click HERE.
Note: Adding a 3rd participant is only available to Dialer Pro and Dialer Enterprise. Clinicians with Dialer Free will not have access to group calling.
Can I add a third participant to my video call by dialing an extension?
The system currently does not allow dialing extensions while using the VIDEO feature and adding a 3rd person to any appointment. If you need to add someone to a Video appointment that requires dialing an extension, you must use the VOICE feature to connect with the person who requires the extension. You must dial the phone number and enter the extension first, before merging the call.
Can I launch a Video Call from my computer?
Can I share my screen with my patient?
Yes, you can share your screen when using Dialer Video from your desktop. Step-by-step instructions can be found HERE.
Can I view the history or log of my video calls?
Yes, the History shows a log of all the video calls you’ve had using Dialer Video (including calls on the Doximity App and on the Desktop). It also shows you the time you sent the video call invite to your patient and how long you were on the video call with them.
How do I rejoin a video call with my patient?
By default, the video call link will be accessible by the patient for 5 hours after it's first created. You also have the option to customize the amount of time it takes for a link to expire after it is created. See these support articles for more information on how to do this on mobile and desktop.
If you hang up the video call with your patient, you can rejoin.
On the Mobile App or Desktop Dialer Feature, select "Rejoin" to return to the video call.
NOTE: Once you have closed out of the call entirely, you must initiate a new video call.
Will my personal number ever be visible to my patient?
No. The caller ID number used in the Dialer App is what your patient will see on their device and on their phone bills. Your personal number will never be available to the patient through Dialer.
Will I be notified when my patient joins the call?
Yes, we will send you a text message from a 415 number and a notification when your patient joins the video call. The text and notification will only be sent when your patient joins the call if you decide to leave the call before they join.
Can I call my patient and walk them through the process?
If you want to contact them ahead of the call, know that if your patient clicks on the text to join your video call while you are on the phone with them, they will receive an error. Smartphones do not allow applications to access the microphone/camera while the phone is being used for a call. Therefore, you will need to hang up before they click on the link.
What does the timestamp mean on the History list?
The patient queue is visible on the Desktop version of Dialer Video. The time shown on your History list is the time you sent the video call to invite your patient.
How do I change the number I get text notifications sent to?
- Open up the Doximity application and tap on the 'Dialer' tab
- Tap on the 'Gear' icon
- Tap on 'Device Number' or 'This Device Number'
- Enter your real cell phone number
- Tap on the blue 'Send Verification Code' or 'Done' button
- Enter the 4-digit verification code texted to your mobile number. If you do not receive the verification code, tap on 'Resend Verification Code'
- To complete the process Android users will need to tap on the blue 'Done' button after entering the 4-digit verification code.
On the Dialer Video Homepage next to History you'll see a settings icon. Click 'Settings', then click 'Edit' next to the number you have entered (see photo below). Then you'll be brought to a pop-up screen where you can update the mobile number you'd like text alerts sent to.
Note: This number will never be shared with patients.
How do I invite my patient without a smartphone to my video call?
To invite your patient without a smartphone to your video call you'll need to email them the video call URL. For steps on how to do this, review the following FAQs:
What number will show up on my patient's caller ID when I use Call Nudge?
When using Call Nudge in the mobile app, the number selected at the top of your screen when sending the invitation to your patient is the number that your patients will see when using Call Nudge.
When using Call Nudge on Desktop you'll see a drop-down list of all the dialer Caller ID numbers you've set in the Mobile App. The number you select in the drop-down list is the number that your patients will see when using Call Nudge.
How do I change the number that shows up for my patient when I use Call Nudge?
The office phone number listed on your Doximity profile will automatically populate as your call nudge and call back number in Dialer. You can add a new number directly on the Desktop Video Call Nudge.
To edit numbers, you can do so from the Doximity App or website. For the App, here's how.
For the Desktop, here's how.
Is Doximity Dialer Video HIPAA Compliant?
Yes, Doximity is secure, facilitating encrypted, HIPAA-compliant communications with patients. Read more here.
Are video calls recorded?
No, video calls are not and will never be recorded.
Do video links expire?
By default, video links expire 5 hours after the call is first placed. You also have the option to customize the amount of time it takes for a link to expire after it is created. See these support articles for more information on how to do this on mobile and desktop.
Video links change every time you start a new video call; video links cannot be reused for other patients.
If patients access a link after the expiration period, they will see a screen that tells them the link is no longer accessible and to contact their medical provider's office.
Can I edit the message sent to my patient?
No. For security purposes, we do not allow you to edit the message sent to patients.
How do I make sure my personal mobile number is not visible to patients when I place a video call?
Once inside the Doximity application, make sure to select the proper 'Caller ID' number at the top of the Dialer screen before initiating the video call.
Can patients see the nickname(s) I give to my phone numbers?
No, the nicknames you give your 'Caller ID' numbers are for your internal use. They will not be displayed to the recipients of your call - only the phone number will.
Can I get a BAA?
The Doximity member BAA is incorporated into the Doximity Terms of Service. The execution date of your BAA would be the date you agreed to the Terms of Service in connection with your Doximity account registration. If you are interested at an institution level, reach out to DialerEnterprise@doximity.com for more information.
Are enterprise partnerships available?
Yes, we offer enterprise partnerships. Reach out to DialerEnterprise@doximity.com for more information.
I am having trouble connecting to a video call. Any ideas?
Video calls can be joined using wifi or cellular data.
If you are having trouble connecting, please try a test video call after doing the following:
- On your phone, go to settings.
- Turn off the Wifi and try another video call.
- If having trouble on cellular, turn on Wifi and try another video call.
I am now seeing a message that my patient's internet connection is unstable, what should I do?
This message is to let you know that your patient's internet connection is unstable and the video or audio may not be working for the call. When this happens we'd recommend having your patient turn off their wifi or connect to wifi (depending on what they are currently using when you get the connection unstable message).
I am seeing a message that says I need to check my internet connection and try again, what should I do?
You are likely seeing this message because you either have an ad-blocker on or a hospital-issued security feature is blocking Dialer usage. Also, please note that your cellular data must be enabled if wifi is disabled on your phone.
To turn off your ad blocker follow the steps below:
- Open Phone Settings.
- Select the browser window you're using (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc) from the list of settings.
- Under the General section, select Block Pop-ups.
- Toggle off the ad blocker.
- Return to the Doximity app
If you are still experiencing this issue, reboot your phone and try again.
Click here for other troubleshooting tips and tricks.
NOTE: Using the Doximity Dialer Video feature will use your standard cellular data.